Wednesday, July 10, 2019

LEC Team 2019 Team Introductions - Paul Best (24)

English Camp -  2019 Sloka, Latvia

Paul Best, Intermediate Teacher and Blog master

This year is my 4th trip to Sloka with St Luke's and 5th mission trip with the church,  I've been on a variety of other mission trips for the past 15 or 16 years: Venezuela, Honduras, Greece (2), Austria (8), Belgium (3 or 4).  I've served in a variety of roles: Kitchen help, construction, ESL in Latvia and Greece, Shoe distribution and furniture making and maintenance work.

Paul with Translator, Arvis



Neighbors enjoying our visit to Frankfurt en route to Riga

"Participating" in a military parade in Russia or electronically in the Riga Automobile Museum 

Juris our guide at Car Museum

I've attend St Luke's for 5 years from the fall of 2014.  I was confirmed on Palm Sunday 2015 and am involved in a variety of activities: Men's Bible Study, VBS recreation leader, Ushering, Concert Corps hospitality, Confirmation mentoring, Small group Bible study, Biking Group organizer, at the Lutheran Haven where I reside near team member Hank Millies I'm in the Haven choir (joyful noise section), leadership at the Wood Shop and work at the Flea Market, member of the Executive committee as Sectional Rep for my housing area and recently organized a monthly social Haven wide gathering and host many neighborhood social gatherings.  In my free time, I do woodworking, enjoy cooking and ride my bikes extensively around the Orlando/Oviedo area.

Paul, Kurt and Peggy

I'm a retired Elementary school teacher and principal and as well as former member the US Army Reserve with 28 years of service.  I'm a combat vet from Vietnam and recently returned there on the 50th anniversary of my service time in country.  An AWESOME experience.

Paul with Richards at church

I'm a high energy person who loves interacting with people and sharing his faith especially with kids and young teens and encouraging them to look for avenues of service.  There is lifelong Joy in serving Jesus and He uses any kind of person - just look at the "motley crew" of persons selected by Jesus for His disciples, He used them and He can you - warts, stains, idiosyncrasies and past imperfections.





Selfie with my future class member before testing began.

What is a unique thing you have done?
Just ask my friends and they'll give you an endless  list of idiosyncratic behaviors, but the two that are my favorites are cycling across the USA by myself on my bike and my jungle training in Panama and doing a free fall from a wire rope slide in the Rio Chagras river.  (at age 23 and I was even more fear less then) 
Blog #23  7/10/19


No comments:

Post a Comment